Quote of the Week

Never say you are "just" a teacher. That's like saying Clark Kent is "just" Superman.

Sunday, August 2, 2015

What's Your Story?

The day you decide to become a teacher, the story begins.  Each day is a new page in the chapters of your life as a teacher.  You'll have wonderful memories, deal with heartbreaking situations, and come home with plenty of funny and crazy stories.  Over the course of your career, you'll grow, learn, and reach milestones.  Much of this you'll forget, as one story replaces another and pages of the calendar tear away.

I encourage every teacher, whether this is your first year or your 15th, to start a diary.  Keep the notes of affirmation.  Write down the funny stories.  Record the memories while they are fresh.  When people say, "You could write a book with all those stories," you really can!!

So, in a nutshell, here's my story....

When did I know I wanted to be a teacher?  Truthfully, I can't remember a time I didn't want to!  I was THAT kid...the one who played school with my dolls, who made a grade book out of a baseball score book, who took extra mimeograph sheets out of the trashcan, and who begged to take home discarded books and workbooks.  Being a teacher was in my blood since the day I first walked into a classroom.

After high school, I headed to MTSU and sat with the group of freshmen who didn't know what to major in.  An adviser took me aside and asked me what I wanted to do with my life.  "I want to be a teacher!" I exclaimed.  When he asked me what I wanted to teach, I said "I don't know; math I guess."  And so I became a math major, while also picking up a major in English.

After college, I married and moved to Fort Campbell.  My first year of teaching consisted of substituting, a month-long math interim in a classroom that was multiple rooms of a converted hospital.  I literally could not see the kids from one end to the other because of the protruding walls, and the students had to come to the 3rd room to watch examples, because it was the only room with a chalkboard.  After that interim, I taught a kindergarten class for a semester.  We had a double shift, with one group from 9-12 and another from 1-4.  No discipline problems existed on the base.  If a child misbehaved, the teacher would call the daddy's BOSS.  Kids who kept getting in trouble were kicked out and sent to public schools off base.

A year after my introduction into the profession, circumstances brought me back to my hometown and Alma mater of Mt. Juliet.  I was hired to teach senior English, Algebra 1, and Algebra 2 on a 6-period day.  I was handed 4 teachers' editions, shown to my room, and left to figure it out.  Seniors were allowed to leave after 5th period back then, and my 5th period happened to be a class of 28 senior boys.  I was 21, and I had a student who was 20!  Another interesting thing is that we had a smoking area for students.  A few years into my career, I taught the Drama class.  One of my students was doing a soliloquy of  a soldier, and the principal allowed him to bring his rifle as a prop, as long as he left it in my classroom all day and didn't carry it around in the hallway.  Boy, times have changed, haven't they?!!

A short time later....I realized I'd been teaching for THIRTY years!  Where did the time go?  And why didn't I start that journal my first year?  I sure wish I had, and I hope YOU will.

I hope everyone reading this has a WONDERFUL year this year.  If you are a first-year teacher, you will not be given books and then left alone in a room.  You'll have a strong support system to help make your first year amazing.  Reach out for help if you need it, and accept any help that's offered to you.  This will be a GREAT year!

Candis Angle

P.S.  If you've read this far....what's YOUR story?  Comment and tell us about your journey, whether it's and oldie-but-goodie or whether it has just begun.

8 comments:

  1. I was that kid who made everyone play school. I was always the teacher, and my sister and neighbors were the students. I had a first grade teacher who made a huge impact in my educational experience, and I aspired to be her. As I drifted through middle and high school I learned two things: teachers didn't make much money, and I loved design. I went into high school planning to be an architect. In high school, I began to fall in love with math. I liked the problem solving aspect, the way things fit together, the design of math. I left high school with the intent of pursuing a degree in accounting.
    In college, I majored in accounting, graphic design, finance, and communications before finding my place in education. My heart spent years torn between math and art, essentially.
    Right after I graduated from APSU, I was offered a job in Cheatham County-a rural district-teaching 8th grade math. I never applied there, but they needed math teachers and reached out to recent graduates. I accepted the job and spent 6 years there. I taught 8th grade math and history, 5th grade math and history, Algebra 1, reading, and public speaking. I also coached cheerleader and became involved in the community. I loved Cheatham, I just hated the drive (about an hour each way.)
    So in the summer of 2013 I made a last minute switch to McGavock, an urban high school. I spent two years there. I'm grateful for that experience, but I never felt like I really fit in.
    As I enter my 9th year of teaching, I am so excited to be "home" in Wilson County. I get to teach Discrete Math, Geometry, and Algebra 1. We will see. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica, What a great story! You taught just about everything while in Cheatham County, didn't you? I, too, am glad you are HOME. Have a great year at Wilson Central High!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment posted twice, so I just deleted the repeat. :)

      Delete
  3. Years ago while at a social event where everyone there seemed to have a more glamorous job than me (and made a whole lot more money), I heard myself say that "I am just a teacher." The person I was talking with called me out on it telling me that I'm not just a teacher and seemed just flabbergasted that I would say that. She had a high opinion of the profession and made me feel ashamed of myself! Since then I "proudly" proclaim that I am a teacher and a long time educator - going on 28 years now. Even though teaching isn't always easy or appreciated there are people who appreciate and admire what we do everyday. I'm thankful for new teachers who want to teach and inspire others; you really can make it 28+ years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am SO glad you decided to become a teacher. I am a better teacher and person from working with you over the years!

      Delete
  4. My name is Carmen Ionita, I have the pleasure and honor to teach French at Wilson Central High School. I grew up in Romania (Europe), deciding 2 years after my college graduation ( B.S. in French and Romanian) to move with my husband to U.S.A. for better career opportunities. When we took the decision to live in U.S.A. for work and for study (M.Ed. – T.S.U. and Ed.S – M.T.S.U.) , it was a huge life changing decision that I will never regret. Before I moved to U.S.A., I taught for 3 years French, Romanian and Latin in my country. Even if I came with a B.S. and a teaching certification from Europe it did not discourage me to start over and to work very hard to continue my teaching experience in another foreign country. I understood quickly that if I wish to continue my teaching career in U.S.A. I must be certified. Navigating through the regulations and requirements for my teacher certification it was a difficult and challenging process for me as a teacher who received training outside U.S.
    Since I was very young, I was passionate about teaching. I will never forget what my mother advised me before I left my country “wherever you will go, do not renounce to continue your passion, it does not matter how hard it will be”. All the time I encourage my students using two of my favorite quotes that impacted a lot my life “never give up on your dreams” and “work hard and dream big”. I have 14 years in education, 3 years in Europe and 11 at Wilson Central High School. Looking back at all the obstacles and challenges to be “stubborn” to continue this amazing career in another country and teaching in another foreign language, I would definitely do it again.
    When I started teaching in this country, I felt so limited with the way I handled my classes, there are a lot of differences between the European and American educational systems. I was limited to teaching suggestions from some of my colleagues and I realized that I needed to learn more. I read whatever I could to experiment and to consult others with more experience. I was fortunate to have been sent to participate in several foreign language conferences where I met more experienced colleagues who taught me how important it is to consider students’ interests and proficiency level in preparing my lessons and how important is to receive feedback from students to make necessary adjustments in my teaching. My participation in these sessions helped me to make a quick adjustment in my teaching. I have a habit of keeping a reflective journal that I shared with new teachers, where I keep all best strategies that I found most useful when I teach. I am a very creative teacher, I create my own teaching resources to use during my class that improved a lot my students’ learning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carmen, You have a very inspiring story. I'm glad you persevered in spite of all the obstacles in your way, and I'm glad you are with us in Wilson County!

    ReplyDelete