Quote of the Week

Never say you are "just" a teacher. That's like saying Clark Kent is "just" Superman.

Monday, November 9, 2015

Bless Your Heart, By Amanda Roshon, ELA Teacher at Wilson Central High School

I have been teaching for 14 years now, and without fail, when people ask me what I do for a living, they often reply with, “I could never do that,” “Bless your heart,” or something along those lines.  It always makes me laugh.  What these people do not realize is how lucky I am to be a teacher. 

Forget about the testing.  Forget about the evaluations.  Forget about the hours spent planning and grading.  J Those things are all secondary.  What is important are the kids that we teach…the kids that we influence every day. 

Teaching is not a job that you can leave at school at the end of the day.  These children become our children, our family.  We play a part in these kids’ lives that we can never even imagine.  I sincerely hope that all teachers realize that.  It is essential to realize what impact we have on them.  We cannot let negativity invade our classroom because the students can sense that negativity.  It makes me so sad when I hear students come into my room talking about how their other teachers are complaining about their jobs or testing or anything else.  Not only is that completely unprofessional, but it also has an effect on the students.  For some of these kids, we may be the only bright spot in their days.  Be positive.  Love what you do.  Love these kids.  That is what teaching is all about.  Yes, content is important, but teaching is so much more than imparting knowledge. 


I know that it can be overwhelming what with all of the expectations placed upon on us, but at the end of the day, remember what you are here for…the kids.  

No comments:

Post a Comment