Quote of the Week

Never say you are "just" a teacher. That's like saying Clark Kent is "just" Superman.

Monday, December 7, 2015

What is Really Important? - Meredith Ashworth, Kindergarten Teacher at Tuckers Crossroads

     As a teacher I think often about this phrase.  I am constantly asking myself if I might be too busy to see the important things that are going on in my classroom.  The child who is sad because Mom and Dad were fighting last night, the child who is lonely because they just don’t fit in, the child who is acting out because they don’t have any other way to communicate how they are feeling.  I sometimes wonder how many opportunities I might have missed because I was so caught up in what I was teaching that I didn’t “see” those real teachable moments.   Here are a few things I try to do during the course of the day and throughout the year.

1.     Take the time to really know your students.  Build a relationship with them and an open door for communication.  Build trust.  After all, the most important part of teaching is the children!
2.    Make a list of 2 to 3 students each day and take the time to talk to them.  I call this “Face Time”.  Sometimes this can be led by the teacher and sometimes by the student.  This is not only good for your struggling students but for your children who just want to share for a few minutes.
3.    Build an open line of communication with parents.  This is so important.  Sometimes you find out things that may be going on at home that you were unaware of.
4.    Speak with a friend or fellow teacher for ideas.  It often is helpful to ask others how they make their students feel safe and special. 


I hope this blog reminds you to keep the important things in your classroom at the front of your mind.  Children who do not feel valued will not be as successful as those who know that their teacher genuinely cares about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment