Quote of the Week

Never say you are "just" a teacher. That's like saying Clark Kent is "just" Superman.

Monday, January 11, 2016

Keeping Parents on your Side, by Julie Davenport, First Grade Teacher at W. A. Wright Elementary

During my first few years of teaching I thought that in order to present a professional and knowledgeable appearance to my students’ parents, I had to ALWAYS BE RIGHT. There were a few times when parents questioned my classroom procedures, grading policies, or choices in the classroom. I worried that if I conceded to those parents, I would lose their respect and trust as a professional educator. So I squared my shoulders, met the parents’ challenges, and assured them that I was right and I knew what I was doing.

However, after a few years I was confronted with a situation in which a parent brought up an excellent challenge to my grading policy. It forced me to listen to his reasoning and I realized that he had a really good point. In fact, it was so good that I changed my grading policy. And guess what! I didn’t lose his respect! In fact, he thanked me for listening, being willing to adjust, and our relationship continued in a positive manner for the remainder of the year.

In actuality, my grading policy hadn’t been bad, but by listening to a parent’s concern, I was able to make it even better. I learned through that experience that parents have some good ideas if I am willing to listen instead of feeling the need to prove that I’m right.

I also learned the value of telling a parent “oops, I was wrong. I’ll correct it”. Being willing to admit mistakes and keeping parents on your side is so much better than trying to sidestep a mistake and having an awkward relationship for the rest of the year.


In short, parents don’t expect us to be perfect. They just want us to work with them. Being a good listener to their concerns and being willing to admit mistakes are two ways I learned to keep them on my side.

No comments:

Post a Comment