Quote of the Week

Never say you are "just" a teacher. That's like saying Clark Kent is "just" Superman.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Engaging Students, by Becky Bryant, Health Science Teacher at Mt. Juliet High School

     We have all seen that look and probably had a few times too.  You know the one, the glazed eyes, loss of focus, and the expression of tuning out.  I got that look more than I wanted to last year.  I liked my lectures and power points.  Who wouldn't?
     That is when I realized that lecturing alone is not enough.  I knew I needed to do something.  I polled the students in my Rehab class and asked them how I could keep them engaged in my lessons.
     Here are the top four ways the students said they would be more engaged.
1.     Activities.  More hands on learning.
2.    Relate our lessons to real world experiences.
3.    Play music while we are doing labs, packets, ect.
4.    Give students choices to pick the labs that are related to the lessons.

     Let me give an example of a couple.  Hands on activities would include more rehab labs of taping extremities, gait correction, and total rehab of injured extremity.  Relating lessons to real world.  This is my favorite.  I get to tell them stories about patients When  they relate to my lesson. 
       

    These have worked for me and my students and is a great starting point to keep students engaged. 

No comments:

Post a Comment