Quote of the Week

Never say you are "just" a teacher. That's like saying Clark Kent is "just" Superman.

Monday, March 28, 2016

Student Enrollment Ideas for New Foreign Languages Teachers, by Carmen Ionita, French Teacher at Wilson Central High School

In 2004, I started my French teaching career at Wilson Central High School. At that time, I had one Latin  and 2 French classes for only one semester. Since the schools was new, I did not have enough classes for both semesters, I was the only French teacher at the school. I learned quickly that if I wanted to have more students in my French classes, I needed  to have a plan for enrollment. That year I charted out a plan to increase the enrollment in my French classes. This plan can work for any new foreign language teachers.

Step 1 - Appreciate your students

This step describes what every good teacher does every day:  caring about your students, learning about their school activities, their future plans. I treated all my students with kindness and consideration.

1. I sent weekly positive emails to parents congratulating their student .

2. I displayed student's work in my classroom and in the hallway.

3. I created a "Tableau d'honneur" that is displayed in my classroom. I chose a student of the month to be honored for each level of French, I also included students' pictures.

4. At the end of each semester I will give out certificates to my students who received "A" in my French classes.

5.  I asked my students to promote French to their friends and to their younger siblings.

Step 2 - "Registration Fair"

At my  school, in January we have a "Registration Fair" for the eighth graders. This recruitment event takes place shortly before the students register for the following year. During the event I will have 2-3 students who are the type of students who are admired by the others.  They will help me passing out to parents and students a handout  "Why Learn French?" that I created before the event.

Step 3 - Collaborate

A. It is very important to talk to your guidance counselors about encouraging students to sign up for a second foreign language as an elective. I asked for their help in encouraging eighth graders to sign up for French.

B. I was surprised to find out that the culinary teacher at my school loved French  culture and she understood my interest in promoting French in my school.
I asked the culinary teacher to teach my students how to make a King Cake for Mardi Gras, while I was teaching her students the history of the King cake and Mardi Gras.

Step 4 - Recruit from foreign language department

As an European, I had to study 3 foreign languages starting with fifth grade until I graduated from high school. During our PLC meetings, I encouraged all my colleagues in the department to promote the study of more than one foreign language with their students. I emphasized all year how easy and fun the second language will be. Most students are unaware of how the first foreign language can help in learning the second foreign language. I always give my background as an example, I am a Romanian native speaker, teaching French through English.

In my French classes, I had students who took Spanish before or they were Hispanic native speakers. I gave them a lot of attention to these students asking them in class to compare and contrast the languages studied. I also told my students how much better it looks on their transcripts and college applications to have 2 foreign languages instead of some other electives.

Step 5 - Create a French atmosphere


It is very  important  to surround students with French. I filled my classroom with posters, realia and students' work. I asked the librarian to showcase my students' projects. In March, for the past 5 years, I prepared my students for the National French Contest. All the contest winners' diplomas are displayed in my classroom for students' recognition.

No comments:

Post a Comment