Quote of the Week

Never say you are "just" a teacher. That's like saying Clark Kent is "just" Superman.

Monday, March 7, 2016

Using Humor in the Classroom, by Darlene West, 6th Grade World History Teacher, Watertown Middle School

Everyone likes to laugh. It’s a good way to break the ice in a new classroom setting, start the day and if sharing a fun anecdote about yourself, allows your students to learn something new about you. Many speakers often start their speeches with a joke to get the groups attention.

“We’re finding humor actually lights up more of the brain than many other functions in a classroom,” says Mary Kay Morrison, author of Using Humor to Maximize Learning. “In other words, if you’re listening just auditorily in a classroom, one small part of the brain lights up, but humor maximizes learning and strengthens memories.”

Some ways that I use humor in the classroom that my students love are each day I change my wallpaper on my computer to some funny history fact. I joke with my students often and let’s face it; you cannot teach and not have a sense of humor. We are working with children and they always have funny stories to share.

Below is a list of guidelines I found on line. I think they are a good set of rule to live by.

•Avoid hurtful humor: Don’t be hostile toward, or demeaning of, others
•Let common sense guide your subject selection, tone and intent
•Know your student/teacher dynamics and judge the joke climate carefully
•Lose your fear of embarrassment. It’s okay to make a fool of yourself in the interest of drawing shyer students out of their shells
•Make humor relevant: Deliver timely, content-oriented material
•Don’t be afraid to “Act Out” concepts and content
•Use funny movie and TV clips to make a point
•Do a little dance when the ring of a musical cell phone disrupts the class
•Use humor in test and quiz questions. It will help lift the veil of test-anxiety
•When appropriate, use funny life stories: Both yours—and with permission—your students


The goal is to laugh and enjoy time with your students. Some of my best memories are when students shared stories, lessons went wrong and I just took a few minutes to enjoy listening to what was happening in my student’s lives. Take a few minutes to laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment