Quote of the Week

Never say you are "just" a teacher. That's like saying Clark Kent is "just" Superman.

Monday, March 7, 2016

Managing Your Classroom When Spring Fever Hits, by Wendy Pillow, 1st Grade Teacher at Rutland Elementary

The sun is shining. Temperatures are rising. Late nights at the ballpark and the end in sight. I don’t know about you but I’m feeling a little “spring fever”! Well, teachers aren’t the only ones. Every year, about this time, I feel like my classroom management is starting to unravel. As a novice, this sent me into a tail spin. I would get that panicked feeling like when your principal walks in for an evaluation. What have I done wrong? Why are they no longer listening to me? Why are they acting like I have taught them nothing?

However, it didn’t take me long to learn that spring fever affects everyone and especially my students! New teachers often say that they love teaching, adore the students, and have mastered the content. It’s the classroom management that keeps them up at night, especially when spring begins. While there are many theories and plans out there, classroom management remains a challenge for new and experienced teachers alike. It just may be the toughest as the school year begins to wind down.  Through trial and error, I have found a few things to help keep my students engaged and motivated until the last bell rings.

1.   It may be time for a little house cleaning! Over the years, I have found that a well-organized, clean, and inviting classroom, helps my classroom manage itself. Before heading to the beach for Spring Break, take a few minutes with your students to clean up the classroom. Put things where they belong and relocate things that need to be more accessible. Reorganizing your desks or tables could be beneficial as well. Returning to school, after break, to an organized classroom and a new seat, just might be the key to classroom management.
2.  The first day after Spring Break might be a lot like the first day of school. It may be time for a little review. I have found that taking some time to review our classroom rules, expectations, and routines, helps keep my kids on track for the rest of the school year. Your classroom management plan, which should include three to five rules, positive feedback or supportive rewards, and consequences, should have been in place since the first day of school. However, in many classrooms, the management plan becomes a poster on the wall and not a usable plan. This is a good time to update the rules and to involve students in a discussion of the rules and consequences. It just might be time to revisit the rules and discuss necessary changes with students!
3.  Throughout the year, you have been giving students verbal affirmations, sending notes or emails home, and reinforcing their good behavior in other ways. Spring might be a good time to take these up a notch. What better time to earn a little extra recess? After all, wouldn’t everyone rather be outside this time of the year?
4.  Speaking of outside…..how about getting a little Vitamin D while learning? I once observed an educator teaching her reading lesson outside. Wow! What a great idea! Children love to read outside. Of course, reading is not the only subject that can be effective outside. If you have a well-managed class, your students will learn. Take it outside!
5.  Finally, Teaching is too important and too difficult of a job to do alone. Reach out and work with your colleagues on classroom management issues. Find the strategies that work best for the students in your room. With good management, you can accomplish your goals and so will your students!


I do not manage my classroom the exact same way that I did fourteen years ago. I can only assume that I will continue to learn new strategies and make adjustments. Every year you will be blessed with a new group of students. They will have their own unique personalities, needs, strengths, and weaknesses. What worked today may not work tomorrow or ever again. As a teacher, the most important thing that I have learned is to not be afraid of CHANGE! Sometimes it’s necessary in order for my class to be managed well and for me to be a successful teacher. 

No comments:

Post a Comment